Islam, one of the three major monotheistic religions, has over a billion adherents around the world. Although they speak different languages and originate from different cultures, they follow rules that are common to all Muslims and they abide by the same commandments and prohibitions. Islam is considered an Abrahamic religion and it developed from Judaism and Christianity. This also applies to eating meat from farm animals obtained by using approved and humane methods, without unnecessary animal suffering.
Muslims follow special dietary law. This is known as the Halal System (halal is Arabic for “permissible”). It distinguishes between foods that Muslims are permitted to eat and those which are forbidden (in Arabic haram).
For meat to be considered halal the animal must be slaughtered according to Islamic practices. Eating meat coming from ritual slaughter is prescribed by the Quran. As Allah says in the Quran:
“Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of God has been invoked, and the strangled, and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall, and that killed by goring with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten – except what you have properly slaughtered – and that which is sacrificed on stones”. (Quran, The Table Spread, 5:3).
“O you who have believed, eat from the good things which We have provided for you and be grateful to Allah if it is Him that you worship. He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah…”. (Quran, 2:172-173)
“Say: I do not find within that which was revealed to me anything forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine – for indeed, it is impure – or it be slaughtered in disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah…”. (Quran, 6:145)
“He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah…”. (Quran, 16:115)
For Muslims ritual (halal) slaughter is the ONLY method of obtaining meat permitted for consumption. We make sure that ritual slaughter is carried out in line with the Islamic principles revealed by Allah and his prophets in the Quran.
Halal slaughter rules and requirements
Islam is governed by the rules set out in the Quran – the source of all major rules of the Islamic doctrine. Those are further elaborated and supplemented by Sunnah (tradition) which include Hadith, that is, the stories of the teachings, deeds and sayings of the Prophet. The Quran forbids eating blood, flesh of pork and carrion and it says that animals should be slaughtered using religious (ritual) methods. Meat allowed to be consumed by Muslims must be halal, that is, the animal must be slaughtered during a ritual according to the following requirements:
• The slaughtered animal must be facing in the south-east direction towards Mekka
• Slaughter must be carried out by a Muslim authorised to perform ritual slaughter, by invoking the phrase “Bismillah” and “Allahu Akbar”.
• Ritual slaughterer must be mature, of sound mind, addiction-free and a practising Muslim with appropriate knowledge and authorisation to perform the slaughter.
• Animals must be slaughtered by hand by an authorised Muslim using a dedicated knife in a specially designed and approved location.
• The slaughterer must cut the animal’s carotid arteries allowing the blood to drain out as quickly as possible, leaving the spine intact.
• Cruelty towards the animal is not allowed.
• Slaughtering knives may NOT be used for any other purpose than the ritual slaughter. In addition, they must be in impeccable condition, clean and sharpened before the slaughter to make sure the animal is killed with one move and unnecessary pain is avoided.
• Ritual slaughterer must wear clothes that meet the hygiene requirements.
• No other actions are allowed until it is ascertained that all the vital functions of the animal have ceased.
• The room used for ritual slaughter must meet all applicable hygiene requirements, e.g. it must be spotlessly clean and not have any contact with animals not allowed for consumption by Muslims.
• Before the ritual slaughter the animal should be placed in a special restraint device suitable for the animal being slaughtered to restrain it so that it will not injure itself.
• The restraint device used for ritual slaughter should be easy to use to reduce the stress of the slaughtered animal to a minimum.
• In animals stress usually manifests in excessive movements. In poultry this may lead to broken wings which is why the law permits using special devices that allow for hanging birds upside down by their legs along a slaughter rail.
• Animals subjected to halal slaughter must be clean, healthy and free of defects.
Ritual slaughter cannot be equated with non-stun slaughter as it is possible to perform ritual slaughter following all the religious practices and still stun the animal. According to Muslim law, for the slaughter to be proper the animal must be alive when its throat is cut and the direct cause of its death must be bleed-out. It therefore follows that if the stun is not the direct cause of death, the slaughter can be considered proper.
All these practices and requirements should be systematically monitored and inspected by qualified staff to ensure high quality of the slaughter according to the Halal System. Our company provides such services under the auspices of a Muslim association.
بس الله للايرحم للايرحلاي
The main objective of H.S. Halal PolDrob sp. z o.o. is to provide services consisting in the performance and control of ritual halal slaughter.
During slaughter there is always a qualified slaughterer and an inspector who is responsible for the slaughter and controls the whole process according to the Halal System.
Our team is comprised of qualified professionals, including members of the Muslim Union association, under whose auspices we work, competent inspection workers and hygiene specialists.
The work and mission of H.S Halal PolDrob under the auspices of the Muslim Union
The main objective of H.S. Halal PolDrob sp. z o.o. is to provide services consisting in the performance and control of ritual halal slaughter. Our services are designed to ensure that the meat coming from your facilities, served to Muslims / followers of Allah, meets the highest halal standards.
During slaughter there is always a qualified slaughterer and an inspector who is responsible for the slaughter and controls the whole process according to the Halal System – from the unloading of live animals through slaughter to meat packing, labelling and storage of ready products in designated locations.
Our team is comprised of qualified professionals, including members of the Muslim Union association, under whose auspices we work, as well as competent inspection workers and hygiene specialists.
We firmly believe that our professional services are a guarantee of the highest quality of ritual halal slaughter and compliance with all the applicable requirements and high expectations of the Muslim community. Each halal product coming from your facility will be sealed and certified by us.
With that, it will be easier for you to make long-term partnerships and add high-quality halal foods to the range of your products.
H.S. HalalPoldrob sp. z o.o. has been performing and supervising ritual slaughter for several years and it supports the Muslim community through the Muslim Union association. We have the requisite experience, required state authorisations and adequate training to carry out ritual slaughter according to the applicable rules. Our goal is to help you implement high-quality Halal System within your organisation and increase the awareness of the role and importance of consistent halal standards and certification authorities for consumers of halal products and services and for each entity in the halal supply chain that pursues its business objectives.
Our commitment and years of experience in ritual slaughter make us the only business in Poland with such dedication to the quality of the whole process of religious slaughter.
The certification process involves a visit of representatives of the Muslim Union and H.S. HalalPoldrob sp. Z o.o. which aims to ascertain that your facility meets all the necessary criteria to implement the Halal System. In order to be declared compliant, the facility must fulfil specific requirements prescribed by Islam. The process is smooth and it does not in any way obstruct your operations.
Halal certification is especially important for producers who wish to export their products to Islamic countries. The certificate gives you a chance to stand out and gain a competitive advantage over foreign producers who export their products to countries where Islam is the dominant religion. It is a way to build engagement among customers who wish to adhere to the basic principles of their religion.
Halal certification will help you earn the trust and credibility in the eyes of customers, ultimately leading them to purchase products from certified producers. The certification and control requirements might be strict, but even so it is worth making the effort to succeed on new markets.
The implementation of the Halal System through H.S. Halal PolDrob sp. Z o.o. will enable you to add high-quality halal foods to your product range and expand into rapidly developing markets with access to secure resources required for providing ritual slaughter services to potential customers.